Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Common Elbow Issues from Luxilon...Story


Eric,

Tom teaches my Men's team and I was speaking to him about tendinitis in my elbow and strings and he gave me your card and recommended I contact you.  I called your shop and they said you were out so I figured an e-mail might be easier.  Here is some background on me and my injury.  I started using Luxilon Big Banger Rough strings in 2009 and started having elbow pain last spring.  I thought I had just sprained it but it continued to get worse until I stopped playing and went to the Dr.  The Dr. found that I had tendinitis and minor arthritis so I have gone through Physical Therapy and after not playing for almost 4 months it is better but I still have pain and can't play more than a few times a week.  I am now using some Hurricane Blue strings that a tennis shop recommended as being easier on the elbow but Tom mentioned that it is still bad and I needed to change it up to something easier on the arm.  I would like to find out from you what you recommend so I can drop my rackets off and have you string them up.  I play Men's A5 and Mixed A2 and typically don't break strings but hit the ball fairly hard and play with a Head MicroGEL Radical Mid+.  Let me know if you need any other details.

Thanks for your time,

Jason

ANSWER from Eric,


Hi Jason,

Sorry about your arm.
You are correct in your thinking that your string isn't helping you. It's actually hurting you very much. Pro Hurricane is actually be stiffer than Alu Rough. Unfortunately most stores are just order takers and only sell the most popular (but not necessarily the best for you) strings and racquets. If you are not a big string breaker there is no reason for you to be using a "poly" string anyway.
Natural gut is your best option because you're not a string breaker and it holds tension much longer than ALL other types of string. We sell a huge amount of gut for this reason. You could also go with a good multifilament string but you will string it more often that gut. 
I'll be at the store Saturday after 11:00 and All day Monday.
E

No comments: